Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Lady Macbeth Still Wears The Pants (Act II)

Act 2, Scene II opens with Lady Macbeth announcing that drinking has made her bold and “hath given me fire.”(l. 2). She has drugged the drinks of the grooms so that Macbeth can carry out the dirty deed of murdering Duncan. Lady Macbeth admits “Had he not resembled my father as he slept, I had done’t.”(l. 12-13). Is she using this as an excuse or was this reason given to get her out of committing murder, leaving the dirty deed for her husband to do? She even says “I laid their daggers ready, he could not miss’em”(l. 11-12). It is obvious that Lady Macbeth decided who would do what- she would do the drugging and Macbeth would do the murdering. I think Lady Macbeth is still the boss.

When Macbeth approaches Lady Macbeth who looks at his bloodied hands she seems to be scolding him for what he said “A foolish thought, to say a sorry sight”(l. 24) “What do you mean?”(l. 43) she scolds him again when Macbeth worries about hearing a voice cry out. Lady Macbeth tells her husband off by saying “You do unbend your noble strength to think so brainsickly of things”(l. 48-49). When she gives him instructions to wash up and smear the bloody daggers on the grooms she continues to order him around. When Macbeth refuses her request saying “I am afraid to think what I have done”(l. 54) Lady Macbeth yells “Infirm of purpose! Give me the daggers”(l. 56-57). The act of murder has made Macbeth a wimp and has taken away all of his strength. Lady Macbeth is right there to take over as usual.

When Macbeth seems to be falling apart with guilt, Lady Macbeth tells him “My hands are as red as yours, but I would be ashamed if my heart were as pale and weak.”(l. 66-67). She is saying that she would be embarrassed to be acting in such manner as he. Macbeth is a big baby!! He needs to suck it up and be more of a man (like her)! When she says “Your constancy hath left you unattended.”(l. 71-72) it’s almost as though she is telling him he is losing his mind. “Be not lost so poorly in your thoughts.” (l. 74-75) is a very rude and demeaning way to speak to anybody, let alone your husband! Lady Macbeth is a nasty piece of work!!! I certainly wouldn’t want to cross her.

No comments:

Post a Comment